January 17, 2014
My W-2 form arrived in my mailbox this week - the first of many documents that will be arriving in all of our mailboxes over the course of the next few weeks. Yours will arrive too; and when it does, it will serve as a gentle reminder of tax season's rapid approach.
For the 10th year now, Brighton Securities' robust and growing tax department continues to serve our clients needs. We've expanded our business this year to include another location at 200 Buell Rd in Rochester, meaning folks can use our new office to meet their tax needs, along with our Brighton and Batavia branches.
From conversations with many of my clients, they've found our tax department to be quite helpful, and in a variety of ways:
- Checks and Balances - each return is triple-checked before it's filed. Your preparer completes the return, and it then passes under two more sets of eyes to confirm its accuracy. When it comes to taxes, and potentially dealing with the IRS, this has put many clients at ease.
- Communication - Many advisors sit in with their clients as they meet with our tax preparers to act as resources for any questions or concerns that may arise. A missing 1099 form, for example, can easily be provided as we keep records of all tax documents that our clients may receive for their brokerage accounts with us.
- Strength in Numbers - It gets busy around here during tax season - luckily our team has expanded each year to accommodate the work load, and we've got quite a deep bench; meaning that no matter the time of day, we've got resources here to assist you.
- Knowledge and Specialization - Thanks to such a large team, we have experts in several areas including trusts, estates, and the ever-changing tax laws which impact us on a yearly basis. It's helpful to have experts in a wide field to go to when you have questions about an estate or trust.
- Everyone's Welcome - We're thrilled to be able to serve our investment clients with our tax preparation services, but our services are available to anyone, including folks who are not investment clients of the firm.
It's inevitable to wonder, "What will it cost?" Our rates are competitive with just about any other tax prep service, but if you'd like a quote we are happy to provide them. The best way to do this is to provide us with your last year's tax return. This way, we can take a look and give you a quote so that you will be better informed to make the best decision for yourself regarding this year's tax preparation.
Remember to start keeping an eye out for those W-2's and 1099's - they'll be arriving soon! If there is any way that we can be of service, please don't hesitate to ask.
Chuck Wade, Financial Advisor
(This article contains the current opinions of the author but not necessarily those of Brighton Securities Corp. The author's opinions are subject to change without notice. This blog post is for informational purposes only. Forecasts, estimates, and certain information contained herein should not be considered as investment advice or a recommendation of any particular security, strategy or investment product. References to specific securities and their issuers are for illustrative purposes only and are not intended and should not be interpreted as recommendations to purchase or sell such securities).